SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
As a senior software developer and architect, I have experience developing
both the front and back end components in a complete system. This includes
development of both web and client server applications using various
languages and frameworks. My knowledge of back-end systems includes
extensive database experience, from programming to design to administration.
My practical background in network design and troubleshooting
contributes to my ability to design and develop secure and reliable
As an teacher, I have a facility with both hands on instruction and the development of course materials which effectively communicate complex technical topics.
TECHNICAL SKILL AREAS
|Methodologies||Scrum, Extreme Programming (XP), Rational Unified Process (RUP)|
|Java Technologies||Tomcat, Struts, JSF, Swing, Grails, GWT, JMS, RMI, J2ME, Hadoop/Pig|
|Databases||PostgreSQL, Oracle (7 & 8i), Universe, Gemstone/J|
|Network Protocols||TCP/IP, Appletalk, IPX|
|Operating Systems||MacOS X, Linux, Solaris, Android|
- B.S. in Computer Science, Washington State University, 1990
- B.S. Interdisciplinary with majors in Business Administration and
Psychology, Lewis-Clark State College, 1987
7/01 -- present, Agile Informatics
As consultant in software design and development, provided services to
clients in many industries. Projects included:
Senior Software Developer
- The design and development of a large scale data-mining system across billions of call data records to identify patterns of activity. Involved both real-time analysis and offline computation using Hadoop.
- Assisted a mid-sized transportation company in moving to Java application development from a proprietary 4GL. This included setting up their deployment platform using BEA Weblogic and Apache Tomcat, and training developers.
- Created several interactive SMS applications capable of sustained rates of 100s of messages per second for use in a high volume marketing campaign.
- Designed and led development of a real time field data collection system using wireless handheld devices and a messaging architecture that supported disconnected operation.
- Redesigned a document transcoding system to support XML standards and implemented a plugin architecture for adding new output formats.
- Built a social networking platform featuring messaging, buddy lists, leaderboards and awards for hosting mobile casual games.
11/07 -- 10/09, Vantos Inc.
Technical Team Lead
- Worked as part of a highly experienced team to develop a web based workflow management platform.
- Developed a reporting system based on XQuery, XSLT, and FO.
- Lead the transition from an in-house scripting language for application development to Groovy.
- Made enhancements to the platform's in-house Object-Relational Mapping layer.
- Worked on the platform's Eclipse-based application authoring environment.
7/07 -- 10/7, Big Fish Games
Games Development Manager
- Lead a small team charged with building up the social networking aspects of Big Fish's online casual games, and integrating them with future platform initiatives.
- Worked with GigaSpaces(JavaSpaces) as a distributed application platform.
10/06 -- 6/07, Mobliss Inc.
- Lead the development of mobile casual games based on a social networking platform developed using the J2ME/MIDP and BREW frameworks.
4/02 -- 10/02, University of Washington Extension
Senior Java Developer
- Taught principles of advanced Java programming to adult students as part of the UWEO Java certificate program.
1/01 -- 7/01, Versatile Mobile Systems, Inc.
- Researched, evaluated, and benchmarked Java VMs for PalmOS and Windows CE embedded devices.
- Developed tools to automatically generate runtime meta-objects, using XMI output from the
popular Together/J modeling tool.
- Developed and implemented an XML serialization format for sending object data between a BEA Weblogic server and multiple handheld devices.
- Developed Java code to receive JMS messages on a handheld (PalmOS) device and to interface with
existing native applications on the device.
8/99 -- 12/00, Netleaf Technologies, Inc.
Senior Software Engineer
- Technical lead and architect for a team developing an all Java system for the capture and management of
cellular network fault and performance information.
- Implemented modules for object-to-relational (OTR) database mapping, visual management of Java Beans, and
application of user-defined formulas to captured data sets.
- Applied elements of the Rational Unified Process to system analysis, design, and development.
12/98 -- 6/99, IS2, Inc (formerly Driftwood Systems)
- Server-side Java development for an online community system using servlets and an object database (Gemstone/J).
- Development of a unit-test framework for Java code utilizing JFC and the JPython scripting language.
- Utilized UML modeling for application design.
2/97 -- 11/98, The Boeing Company
- Intranet web design and programming for Boeing ISS.
- Conversion of Boeing's intranet home page from a collection of static
pages to a database driven portal, using Oracle 7 and Netscape Livewire.
- Development of Java front ends for a resume handling system and a
schedule management system.
- Rapid prototyping of proposed sites using Apache and PHP/FI on Solaris.
6/95 -- 7/96, UDP Consulting Services
Technical Instructor/Course Developer
- System Administration and Web application development for First Technology Credit Union.
- Web based client/server application development for Intel using Visual C++/PERL front-end and Oracle 7 database back end.
- Setup and maintenance of Oracle 7 database server for Intel including network access planning, RAID configuration and automated backup strategy.
- Client/server application development for NIKE using Visual Basic front-end and Access database back-end.
- Technical resource for maintaining UDP network including Internet access.
1/94 -- 6/95, Network General Corporation
Corporate Network Support/Support Engineer
- As a highly experienced technical resource, developed courses for the Network General Expert Sniffer that included protocol analysis of TCP/IP and NetBEUI.
- Developed 40 hours of original course material in support of the DSS Foundation Manager monitoring product.
- Taught classes on the Network General and ProTools family of products, as well as classes on LAN technology to both NGC customers and employees.
2/91--8/93, Microsoft Corporation
- Provided mission critical technical support to users of Microsoft networking products by telephone and over electronic services, such as MS Online and Compuserve.
- Specialist in the integration of Macintosh computers into MS LAN Manager and Windows NT networks.
- PSS Signoff testing lead for Windows NT Advanced Server product in the area of Macintosh connectivity.
8/90--1/91, WSU Department of Mechanical and Material Engineering
- Day to day operation and maintenance of two UNIX systems, including setting up networks and assisting users with programming and data acquisition.
3/90--7/90, WSU Department of Mechanical and Material Engineering
- Developed library package to drive two dimensional traverses for flow measuring experiments. Adapted code to several different traverse setups. Real time programming in C and UNIX.
1989 WSU Department of Computer Science
- Taught introductory level computer science class (CS105).
1987--1989, WSU Personal Computing Center
Instructor, Introductory Computer Programming
- Performed needs analysis (hardware and software) for university departments, faculty, staff, and students. Recommended appropriate computer equipment.
- Provided post-sale problem support.
- Assisted in preparing informational and advertising materials.
- Gave training sessions on specific products.
1987, Beacon Junior Academy
- Taught basics of computer operation to grades five through nine.
1983--1987, Lewis Clark State College
- Tutor for basic and advanced accounting.
- Lab monitor for computer programming and data processing courses.
Available on request.